I haven’t slept in DAYS!! I swear my kids are in cahoots – they are taking turns waking up in the middle of the night and switching off rising way too early in the morning. They must have worked out a schedule or something because it all feels very deliberate.
This degree of tired I have not experienced since having a newborn. I’m angry tired. And I mention this because I’m wondering if this exhaustion-induced-rage contributed to my irritation in the toy aisle yesterday.
Now I’m no marketing expert, but as a consumer I am pretty clear on the mission: Make people think a certain way, feel a certain way and/or behave in a certain way. So join me please in listing all the things a child may think/feel/do in response to being fed these seemingly benign images. I’ll go first…
- The pink blocks are for girls
- The blue blocks are for boys
- Girls and boys have different toys
- Boys and girls should play with different things
- Girls and boys like different things
- The way girls play with building toys is unlike the way boys play with building toys.
- If I’m a boy, I should not be playing with those “girl toys”
- If I’m a girl, those “boy toys” are not for me
- We boys and girls must be pretty different
- We girls and boys are not expected to play together